This is a project I’ve been working on for some time without really planning on keeping track of during the process. However, looking through some old files, I realized I had a good chronological series of photos from the process. As of this writing, I am not yet finished with this statue.
As of this writing, I have much of the clay on but am slowly building form. Once completed, I will fire it in my oven and then paint the fine details. it is a gift to Ian for all of the support he’s given me over the years of the character Captain T we made together.
I started with a heavier armature wire, needle-nose pliers, and crimping pliers. In this photo you can see that I started with the silhouette of Captain T. You can see his belly, nose and profile beginning to form.
After generating his profile, I started with the base. This will eventually be a free-standing statue so balance is key. By starting out with the feet and legs it allows me to secure a solid stance to take on the weight of the rest of the sculpture. Note the model sheet in the background.